Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Wow that was quick! Is there some hidden costs that I'll be…

Customer Question
Wow that was quick...

Wow that was quick! Is there some hidden costs that I'll be facing??

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today my wife's sewing machine just quit working. Its a Bernina active 240.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Maybe 15 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. If it means anything, I'm a seasoned licensed automotive service technician.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems like the timing is out of sync. Is there a way to do a fresh or factory "reboot"?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

Looks like a new questioned has opened, so I have no detail on the original I am afraid

Can you please outline the issue so I can try to help

I am not able to phone as it is US only and I am in Australia

Okay, this is amazing. I truly hope that you can resolve our problem. The sewing machine is a Bernina Activa 240. I will re-type my issue.
It seems that the needle is out of sync when zig zag setting is selected.
Is there a way to do a factory "reboot"?

This is what I had sent earlier.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model?And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Maybe 15 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

While I do some background, can you please check the power outlet is OK by plugging a known good lamp or etc

It is good.

First Principals first

Do you have a Manual ?
Just Check these...

Sewing computer fails to run
or runs slowly
• Plug not properly inserted.
• Power switch in off position.
• Sewing computer has been
standing in a cold room.
• Bobbin winder still switched on

The machine runs fine but the needle doesn't go to the center like it should when changed from zigzag to straight stitch. It doesn't make stitches either.

You said "just quit working"

So the issue is for Needle off centre ?

This problem just happened suddenly. It has been working fine till now!

OK, so it seems that it is also a Timing Issue

Was there a Jam of thread or Fabric ?

When was the last Service done... we recommend 12-24 mths

the thread got tangled up underneath the stitch plate.

Hmmmm

That is enough to throw timing as you will appreciate, it is a mechanical device, the Hook catches the Thread in a small window of time
I have to find more info on the Timig, however, in the meantime... here is a VIDEO to show basic Needle Swing adjustment... it is a Singer, but same, same slightly different
Back shortly
What time with you ?
Here is 2:15pm Friday

I do not have access to the Service Manual for your model, however the attached ought to lead you to see what is necessary

I am going to have to leave now, it is likely late where you are, and I need to do some running around to get the last post run done before days end

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.