Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My relatives have a GE SS27SGRE SS that will constantly

Customer Question
My relatives have a...

My relatives have a GE SS27SGRE SS that will constantly dispense water as soon as the water option is selected. I assume it's either the dispenser microswitch and or the water dispenser solenoid.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

10 years probably. PSS27SGRE SS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Thanks

Im afraid its not either of them parts you refer to.

As this has a single microswitch so if this was faulty then when in ice mode it will keep asking for ice if it was faulty. So as it isnt then you can rule the microswitch out.

As to the water inlet valve then again if this was faulty then it will allow the water to pass through it all the time none stop. As its only doing it when the water is selected then thats when the valve is getting power so will open the valve.

So you can rule both of them out. What you will find is the issue here is the control board on the freezer door. This will be the fault as its asking for water on its own so thats why its doing this.

So for this fault the front control board in the freezer door is the fault here and will need to be replaced.

Regards

Ok. Can you please provide a part number and recommended supplier link, like amazon or trusted ge supplier?

Amazon do have this is stock.

Click here for the part

Or the part number is *****

Ok. Great. Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Your very welcome.

Well I ordered and replaced the controller board as well as the door recess crank. I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the ice and water dispenser. Disassembly and reassembly was pretty simple. Unfortunately the original issue presented itself again. After I plugged the fridge back in to power and turned the water valve back on I engaged water dispense mode. Once I inserted a glass and pushed it back into dispenser unit, water started flowing. when I removed the glass, the dispenser retracted into the original position and water continued to flow. So maybe a micro switch and/or solenoid are my root causes after all?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

The board you replaced is just the User Interface, not the board that controls the water. You replaced the incorrect board, unfortunately. The board that controls the water likely has a relay that is sticking. If you get it to dispense by itself then quickly unplug it, we can discern between the solenoid and the board. If it stops dispensing when unplugged, the board is faulty. If it does not, the water valve solenoid is faulty. Can you perform that simple test and let me know the results, please?