Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I had my GE monogram repaired yesterday. they said it they…

Customer Question
Hi- i had my...

Hi- i had my GE monogram repaired yesterday. they said it they said it the compressor was super hot and the it wasn't cooling and it needed a deep clean/condition or maybe a new compressor if that didn't work, they charged me $800. I $325 in parts (but i don't think there were new parts) and$150 miscellaneous and$295 for labor. the guy was here a half hour. it's working but I think i was ripped off. and now i can't find the license number of the tech does that seem like a very high price. MY Monogram is 19 years old, never been serviced.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's a 42 inch in wall unit I can't reach to take off the top

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The work was done. but after it took a half hour and i didn't see any parts I got panicked that I was fleeced for $500

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The temperature was not getting as cold as it should in the fridge and freezer and not going up he said the cooling unit for the compressor wasn't working or the motor. honestly i'm not even sure. He said a new compressor would run me $3000 but he could try and fix it with a deep clean taking out everything

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 4 days by:
9/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 11 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

I hate to tell you this but there is no such thing as a deep clean/condition for the compressor, either the compressor works or it does not. If it was hot it was probably due to the condenser coil being dirty and needed to be cleaned out. Which is nothing but blowing vacuuming or cleaning the condenser with air pressure or the like, or its possible the condenser fan motor was bad and not circulating air. At any rate, you were way overcharged regardless of What it was. Any idea what parts were changed, the invoice should have the part numbers on it.