Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

You My KichenAid Superba KSSS48QHX00 freezer can't get below…

Customer Question
You My KichenAid Superba KSSS48QHX00...

You
My KichenAid Superba KSSS48QHX00 freezer can't get below 20 degrees but the fridge section seems ok (40 degrees). I removed the inside lower freezer panel and the evaporator fan is spinning, coils have a thin layer of frost. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

KitchenAid Superba KSSS48QHX00

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We recently lost power for 2 days after hurricane Irma. When power was restored the freezer

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Have you cleaned the Condenser coil up top recently and made sure that the Condenser fan also up top is running?

If the fan is in fact running you should feel warm /hot air coming out the left hand side of the upper mechanical compartment

coils are clean and fan is running.

ok and the door seem to be closing properly?

And is the unit in an air conditioned environment at this time.

And how long was the unit off for? and then after the power was restored how long has it been running for?

Door closes properly, unit is in our A/C'd kitchen. Power was off for 2 days, has been back on for 1 1/2 days.

ok if the power was off for 2 days it should be cooling back to the original settings with in 24 hours.

what do you have the freezer set on at this time?

ok ,that setting should be fine.

now this frost that was on the freezer Evaporator coil was it covering the entire coil or was it just a light frost on the coil fins?

that is fine if not a bit light ,but it could have just recently been in a defrost mode.

I was actually just wanting to make sure the frost was not restricting the air flow and it would not.

Now are you running the unit with the freezer cover off and trying to get it to cool down? if so you will need to put that cover back on so the unit has proper air flow .

Ok, I just replaced the cover.

ok so if it has been off for several hours lets let the unit now run and see what the temperature does.

It was only off for about 30 minutes. I think that the defroster just kicked on as the compressor has turned off and I hear water dripping in bottom of freezer.

ok so it will be in a short defrost for approx 20 minutes then it should come back on and cool properly with the rear freezer panel back on it .

but with that panel off you have no air flow across that coil for it to circulate and cool the freezer nor the fresh food section properly.

Ok, so I'll give it a couple of hours?

great ,then just let me know how it is doing.

Will do, thanks.

Great thank you!

Ok, it's been about 4 hours and the freezer temp is down to 18 degrees. The fridge temp is 38 degrees. Any suggestions?

how cold are you wanting the freezer to get?

I thought that zero is normal. That's what my other freezer runs.

Anything below 32 is freezing .

And do you have the freezer still empty of food .

If you have nothing in it you have nothing to hold the temperature once the unit cycles off.

Just like a glass of water if you have ice in the water it will stay colder longer.

Ok, I'll put stuff in it but it's not cold like it used to be. It hasn't made ice in almost 3 days and the food I had in it this morning was partially thawed.

the icemaker will not cycle to make ice unless the internal ice maker thermostat reaches a temperature of 15 degrees .

And right now it is only 18 degrees so add either some jugs of water or some food to the unit so it will get colder and hold the cold ,then we can go from there.

I've put food back in. How long should I wait?

lets give it 4-5 hours if the food is warm it will take longer for the temperature to drop

How is the unit working today?

I have not heard back from you!

It's not any better.

ok so if it is not getting any colder then 18 degrees and you have no large amount of frost on the freezer Evaporator coil and the Freezer fan and the Condenser fan up top is running .

I have to suspect that the issue is a refrigeration sealed system issue.

Where you would either have a leak in the refrigeration system or the compressor has become inefficient (running and pumping just not pumping the full volume of refrigerant thru the system)

Both of those issue will require an EPA certified refrigeration servicer to work on the unit.

Ok, I'll call someone to take a look at it. Thanks.

good luck.

Glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.