Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was referred to you for this question. I am a member

For Brian I was...

For Brian I was referred to you for this question. I am a member already and pay a monthly fee.My very old Admiral refrigerator refrig thermostat froze up. There is one for the refri and for the freezer. There is still cool air into the freezer. I feel some cool air coming through a vent into the refrigerator. Is this cool air tapped off the freezer? If so, how does the refrig thermostat regulate cool air in the refrig?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Admiral It says ADS HMG 191340. The appliance center told me a new refrig switch is $100.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Actually, I took out the therm. which may have been a mistake. I did manage to get the freezer working with the broken therm They told me the techs wont touch it now. I may have to buy a used for $400 So stupid me. They were going to charge $69 for service call, and over $100 for fixing the therm.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Does this refrig vent some of the freezer air to the refrig? The freezer is blowing cold air now.

Anyone?
9/14/2017
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can you look at the model number once again please?

I find nothing on the number of ADSHMG191340

Sorry I don't see a response.

My mistake. The model mbr is HMG 191340. That better?

Thank you!
Give me a minute or two to pull up information on this model

ok on this model the fresh food section is only cooled by the cold air from the freezer being blown into the fresh food section via the Freezer Evaporator fan .

The fresh food temperature control know is just a air damper that opens and closes to allow more or less air from the freezer into the fresh food section.

Now what do you mean exactly when you say the thermostat has frozen up?

The thermostat would not move when I tried to change the setting. Then the plastic knob broke off in my hand. When I looked, it was rusted. I was in electronics years ago,, so. I managed to remove the panel for both thermostats and saw the refrig thermostat was completely rusted and a little wet. The freezer thermostat appears to be somewhat functional. Seems no one has the thermostat, so I had to order a substitute through an appliance store. They wanted $100 with a delivery date of at least 2 days. They told me if I have touched any part they will not service it. They want $400 for a used one if I cant get the thermostat to work. The freezer does work nicely. No thermostate. While I wait how long should I allow the compressor to run, or will that run for hours without a problem?

I found the thermostat and it is only $76.70

Would you like a link to the part and just replace it yourself?

and the freezer (left) knob is like$20.00

Sure. That would be great. Thank you for giving me the links. I should have come here to Justanswer first. I ll take both links.. I already ordered the $100 part, but may be able to cancel it. Talk about gouging..

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE thermostat PART FOR YOUR MODEL

knob

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Excellent! Thank you. ***** think of it, could you double check the thermostat part the store ordered? They ordered part nbr WP68601-6? I notice it is different than the part nbr you just gave me. They said it was a direct substitute thermostat.

It is a thermostat,but it is NOT a direct sub for the original part ,and I show this one is $89.00

Oh terrific!. I am getting the wrong part?. What do I do now? I have to take this in the shins? Or do I try to get my money back?
Mind if I ask what site you are using? I can't go in there and tell them an appliance tech on Justanswer told me it is the wrong part? Or can I?

if you have not received the part yet cancel the order and if it has been shipped just return it with out opening it .

That`s what I would do anyway!!

I`m using Sears to look the parts up and the take that part number and put it in Repair clinic .com and it subs to this new number that I have given you.

Here is the sears link item #18 is the thermostat and item #15 is the knob.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/HMG191360/1810/0166000.html

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Master Tech
Outstanding! You have been a very big help! I would be happy to rate you now and maybe ask later. Thank you so much! I was sweating over that refrig with no air and food going bad. I may have questions later. I will follow up here.
I just rated you . Since the thermostat isn't working, how long should I let this compressor run? Or can they run for hours without a problem?

no problem! always glad to assist you anytime.

I would not let it run no more then an hour at a time. if it runs longer it may freeze up the freezer Evaporator coil and that will restrict air flow in the entire unit.

Ok An hour at a time. Good, I will give it some breaks then. Thank you. ***** asked.