Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool Washer model number WTW4800XQ4 and serial…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool Washer model number WTW4800XQ4 and serial number C32620196 . The lid closed light is blinking and the lid doesn't close while washing like it should and the water isn't draining out because of it. Thank you, ***** ***** it's an easy fix.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

We bought it used, so I'm not sure how old it is. The model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That depends on how involved it is to fix.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just to get my lid closed light to stop blinking

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Hi Tyler, I hope you can help me . I have a big load of laundry to do.

The lid lock light flashing means nothing more than your washer has detected a problem. So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump first which is below the tub. Just remove it and if you find nothing inside, re-install and move onto the actuator. If you find debris inside the pump, remove it and try the washer again.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you��

No problem and good luck!

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc