Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We have a Kenmore dishwasher, model 665.1328, that has

We have a Kenmore dishwasher, model(###) ###-#### that has started to leak. I can see a gap at the top of the door, where it is not sealing tightly. Bottom looks tight. How can I adjust the door? Do I try tightening the springs?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About two years old. Model 665.13289K110
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Now this gap on top exactly where is it ?

And if it is on top of the door is the door latching fully closed to start the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The door seems to be latching correctly, as we have no problems running the dishwasher. Looking at the door from the side, the seal looks tight at the bottom, However, as you move up toward the top, you can see a gap start that is about 1/4 inch wide at the top. It is the same on both sides and about 1/4 inch all along the top edge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've sent a photo. The pencil is nestled in the gap
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't know if you can see how the gap narrows as it goes toward the bottom

ok that gap as your calling it is just the entire unit leaning forward.

This unit latches and starts the dishwasher from a strike and latch mechanism on the top of the tank and the top of the door .

So the door had to be closing at the top of the door or it could not latch nor operate.

It appears that the issue is the unit is not level ,and the water is probably coming from up under the door since the unit if installed properly should be leaning to the rear 1/8 of a bubble when using a level to test if for levelness.

What your seeing is just the gap from the door to the wooden kitchen cabinets , that is not a gap from the door to the tank.

Now if you feel the water is coming out the (SIDE ) of the door look at the gasket and look at the door to make sure the door is not bent in any way!

and if you have any questions or comments just reply back to me!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The picture must not have shown up clearly. I can see a gap between the gasket on the door and the tank at the top. That is where the pencil was placed, between the gasket and the tank. The seal between the tank and door gasket is tight at the bottom, but grows to the approximate 1/4 inch at the top. I will double check tonight to make sure the unit is level. Another thing I have noticed is the wood countertop above the unit is starting to rot from moisture leaving the washer through that gap, instead of coming out through the vent during the drying cycle.

if you have any gap at the TOP of the door .

I do not see how the dishwasher would be latching and starting since the door latch mechanism and door switch are located in the very top of the door.

Unless the door is bent so the very top is closed and then lower it is open

do you have any foil tape on the underside of the partical board countertop ?

If the unit was installed properly you should have foil tape on the underside of the counter-top .it is a moisture barrier to stop the underside of the counter-top from coming apart .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No foil tape, but that I can easily do. Also, looks like it's not perfectly level, so I will raise the back end of the unit some this afternoon. Don't know what's under the unit, if floor continues or what, but will see if that helps close the gap. Just checked the door also and nothing seems bent against my aluminum level. Hoping raising the back end will do. Will keep you posted

ok I can give you the moisture barrier part number if you need it .

But if you get some foil tape that way is MUCH cheaper then the kit

and does the gasket on the front of the tank look as if it is pushed all the way into the U channel that it fits into around the tank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should be able to get foil tape at hardware store. Wife has me hunting for mice under stairs. Found one in washing machine yesterday, but that's a different type of problem. Will work on dishwasher this afternoon

ok no problem!

Got to keep the wife happy ((Happy wife ,Happy life.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got that right. Thanks

Mine has put up with me 30 years this NOV.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I leveled the unit, still have gap between door and tank. I'm a visual person, so sending some photos. One shows tank level. One shows interior with seal. Another shows door closed and latched with pencil in gap between door and tank. This gap diminishes toward bottom. I believe sound, water and steam escape through gap

your looking at the gap between the tank frame and the door ,you need to be looking at weather the gasket seals to the door when the door is closed or not.

put some dish washing liquid or fabric softener on the door gasket and close the door and latch it .

Then open the door and look to see if the liquid has transferred from the gasket to the door all the way around the door top and sides or not.

Your looking at it from a cosmetic issue .

I am not worried about that at all ,I `m trying to see where your leak is coming from!!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry my responses have been slow lately. The last few times I went to work on it or try your suggestions, I found the dishwasher running. I think you are right about me looking at it cosmetically. I did the soap around the gasket, and it did transfer to the door, so it must be sealing right. Also, no leaks the last few cycles. Time will tell. I'll do the survey thing now and I'm seeing nothing but stars. I appreciate your help, but I hope we don't have to seek you out again, meaning no more leaks