Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was trying to figure out why my kitchenaid fridge/freezer

I was trying to figure out why my kitchenaid fridge/freezer side/side isn't making ice
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it's a KSRS25RVMK02 - about 9 yr old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I would prefer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The water dispenses fine in he door and I suspect I could find out more if I understood what the LED pattern meant that is near the infrared sensor

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with the freezer door opened with flap out - yes - flashes 2 times and pauses over and over. Shut the flap and yes, turns solid
(though I thought at an earlier time it did not light at all, but not the case now) No water or ice in the mold. I'm not sure but I think the white fingers you refer are pointed downward

OK so the emitter boards are working properly but the fingers shouldn't stop any direction other than pointing forward and up at a 25 degree angle. If they are pointing down, your icemaker itself has failed so it won't cycle and fill up with water. You'll need to order and replace the entire icemaker to resolve this issue so below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.