Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool top load washer, the pump for draining

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool top load washer, the pump for draining just runs and runs when plugged in. No lights on the control board. It was unplugged all night. This washer is less than 6 months old
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Less than 6 months old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model number is *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The drain pump constantly runs because the washer took more than 6 minutes to fill up with water which causes the washer to go into flood mode. The good new is that it's simple to reset this issue. The unit is in flood mode and you just need to plug the washer back in and give it 30 minutes to finish it's flood mode sequence, do not unplug the washer (the drain pump will be fine) or it resets the timer. The lid will remain locked and the drain pump will continue to run until the sequence is finished. Once it's done the door will unlock and you can use the washer like normal. Just be sure the water is turned onto the washer and the tray is fully closed and you should be good to go. If the issue comes back, you need to make sure you have good water pressure coming to the washer, clean the screens on the back of the washer where the water supply hoses connect to the back of the washer, and if the issue persists---replace the electronic water valves because they are restricting the water flow.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lid does not lock at all when plugged in
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

That's fine, it won't always lock. But if it drains for longer than 30 minutes and won't exit, your control board just has a stuck relay and is shorted so the main control board inside the control panel will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?