Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My maytag 2000 series front load washer won't open. So I

Customer Question

My maytag 2000 series front load washer won't open. So I removed the bottom panel and manually unlocked the door then plugged the unit back in, shut the door and tried to run another cycle. But the machine won't begin a new cycle and then the door locks again and I have to manually open it. What do you think the issue is?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: my guess is 2-3 yrs old, not sure on exact model
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i wouldn't mind if it's not too crazy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know how to repair/fix this issue so I can start running my washer again
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I see that your question has been sitting for a while are you still needing help with this matter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea stilll need help
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

does it fill with water or anything? Or is it just locking and stops?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I try to start a cycle it clicks like its going to start then nothing happens and the door remains locked until I have to manually unlock it
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

so this can mean a faulty door switch (since its locking probably not the case) the more then likely cause is your control board has failed and is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that something that I can replace myself? If so how do I go about ordering that part? Or does a professional tech have to do it and I do I go about organizing that? Or are you saying the whole washer has to be replaced???
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

no not at all you can most certainly do this job yourself its not hard. I just need your model number. Its located on the inside of the door area.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
MOD
Mhwe200xw00
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

this is the part you will be replacing its right behind the panel where all the buttons are. Its easy to replace as well. Shouldnt take more then 20 minutes. Just unhook the old one and plug the new one in.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/W10212771/0026/110.html?modelNumber=MHWE200XW00&categoryName=Residential%20Washers&brandName=MAYTAG

Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you think a new control board is what I need based on what we've talked about on this thread?? just want to make sure you feel pretty confident it's not the lock.....?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

well since the lock is locking I do not believe that it is the issue. You can test the lock though just to rule it out.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I bought that part (control board) that you recommended and plugged it in and when I press power, the display just does one quick beep and then goes blank. When I unplug the machine and try this again, the same thing continues to happen. What is your recommendation?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 26 days ago.

do you have a multimeter?