Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

My freezer is on the bottom of my refrigerator. Ice has been

My freezer is on the bottom of my refrigerator. Ice has been building up on the bottom- so much so that it has frozen the bottom basket into the ice. What is happening ? Andrea
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Plz give me a minute to jot down the numbers
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I would like to try to fix it . It is a Kenmore- model #79565002401 and I've had it for about 12 years- I live alone so it gets slight usage.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It doesn't get used for 2 months out of each year while I'm away.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Hi

If it collecting ice on the bottom of the freezer then this is going to be a blocked drain hole. So when it goes into defrost mode because the hole at the back is blocked it overflows and collects in the bottom of the freezer and causes this fault.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer.

Once thats off you will see the drain gutter in the back towards the bottom. This will be all iced up so clear the ice from there.

Then you will see the drain hole. Pore boiling water in there and poke something in there to clear the hole. Once clear test it by poring water in there and make sure it drains away.

Once thats all clear refit the back panel and this should cure the fault from there and stop the ice collectiing under the bottom drawer.

So try that and see how it goes from there as this will cure the fault.

Regards

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open.

Do you still need help on this, If so then just get back to me. But if not if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Regards