Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I've got an older Maytag washer that is burning thru the tub…

Customer Question
I've got an older...

I've got an older Maytag washer that is burning thru the tub belt when it goes into the rinse/spin mode. I can move the pulley at the belt with relative ease but I'm unfamiliar with the construction of the mechanism beneath the tub to which the shafts run thru for bearing considerations. The machine does make a loud whining noise when it starts acting up. Any thoughts on this? Dave.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Its about 30 years old. 1986??

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well that depends on how far I have to take apart. I have just replaced the belts but still does the same thing.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that comes to mind...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

I appreciate your response. After further investigation of the problem I discovered that the transmission beneath the tub is bad. At first I was on the path that I had bearing issues but after being able to turn the pulley by hand and observe what was going on it became obvious that bearings were not at fault. The transmission has basically lost a "gear" in that it does everything but agitates, causing the belt to slip and burn. I was able to run the unit just with a small amount of water in it. It still does spin but is very slow to do that. To conclude, My Wife has just ordered a new washer, A Speed Queen, of similar description. Our Maytag was purchase in 1985 and has served us well with two kids that were very active in sports and such. Again thanks.

no problem at all ,thank you for replying back to me.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.