John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My amana side by side freezer seems to be coming on and off.

Customer Question

My amana side by side freezer seems to be coming on and off. It makes ice then it must be defrosting it because the next thing I know the ice is all stuck together. My frozen orange juice goes from being solid to soft and now has frost on it
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have a serial #...00011398-11 and model # is SX23VW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No....juste trying to decide if it is repairable or do I need to get a new one? Can you tell how old it is by the model or serial number?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I would like to know how old it is first of all...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm waiting....I really want to know the age of my refrigerator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No...this is sounding like a ripoff....
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Im just digging the service info up so i will reply in a few mins.

Just ingorne the phone request as we dont need to do this as we can just do the online chat here.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

If you look at the serial number towards the end of it there should be a letter there, Do you see this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no letter there...I gave you the serial number that is on the plate in Refrig.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

The date code goes of the serial number as at the end of the serial number there should be 2 letters there as this is what tells us when the appliance was made.

I dont suppose you could post a picture of the rating plate?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told that if I gave you the serial number you could give me the year....I gave you the serial number...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found out the age of it on another site....2000 it was manufactured...now...can you answer me what the problem might be?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there Daniel