Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm in the process of looking at your RF170BLPX6

Customer Question

I'm in the process of looking at your RF170BLPX6 Refrigerator.The minimum air clearance figures of 1 and 3/16 inches are just too tight. What if we had a clearance of just 5/16 ? Is this an option ? What does the clearance minimum accomplish ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just yesterday at Yale Appliance
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance in question?
Customer: I gave the number in the message but it for the ActiveSmart Fridge -17.5 cu.ft. counter depth bottom freezer.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So you need the extra clearance because the way the refrigerator is designed is that is sucks air from around the refrigerator and blows it across the compressor coils and out the bottom of the refrigerator in the front. If you're gaps are too small, it'll restrict the air flow to cool the compressor and the compressor will work harder than needed shortening it's life. Now, let's say you have 5/8" on the sides but you have 2 inches on top, you would be fine. But if your gaps are too small on all sides, without a doubt it will make the compressor work harder and it may only last 5-10 years instead of 15-20 years for example.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?