Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer smells like mold after washing? Model WCVH6800J2MS

Customer Question

my washer smells like mold after washing?
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Model WCVH6800J2MS Serial ZT201039T
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the washer is in good condition otherwise its just the smell
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately these front load washers are fairly well known for sticking like mold/mildew because they seal up when the door is closed unlike top load washers. They also store water below the inner basket all the time so it creates a humid environment. This is why they make the Affresh tablets and such. What you'd want to do is run a cycle with a product called Washer Magic which you can pick up at a Lowes store or order online. That will clean the washer out better than anything else, but after that you'll want to clean out the drain catch.

There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. Clean it out as best you can with a rag.

As a last measure, when you're washer is not in use, don't close the door or the odor will come back. Just leave the washer door cracked open so it can vent better.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?