Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We just replaced the gear case transmission on our maytag…

Customer Question
We just replaced the...

We just replaced the gear case transmission on our maytag washer, calibrated it, and 3 washes in it is making an awful noise during the wash cycle. Thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model #MVWX500XW2 and it's 4 1/2 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes hopefully

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a video with the noise it's making now...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can you tell as to where this noise is coming from ?

i cannot

so it is making this noise in an agitation mode or a spin mode?

And can you describe the noise?

and was this noise there before you replaced the gearcase?

both modes and no, this is a completely different noise since the gearcase was replaced

ok so if it is in both modes have you looked at the belt or the cover that goes over the belt to make sure it is not rubbing?

i have not. I was needing advice as to where to start looking
is there a way I can send you audio of the noise it's making?

since it is in both agitations and spin modes I have to suspect it is with the belt ,cover or the motor components.

You would have to down load it to a place like YouTube then send me the link so I could go there and open it to listen.

let me do that...

ok I will listen to it! not sure if by listening to it I will know where it is coming from or not!

https://youtu.be/oG-_k5NnzsU
see if i was successful at sending this...

and it is doing his all during the cycle or for just a few times?

And can you tell if the motor is running when it makes this sound?

during the entire cycle. I did stop the wash cycle because it was SO loud. Switched it to rinse/spin to get the soap out of the clothes and it made the noise until that cycle was finished

I would have to say look at the belt /motor even remove the belt cover and see if it still has the noise.

ok

good luck and let me know what you find!