Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE front load washer, WCVH6800JWW. when I run a

I have a GE front load washer, WCVH6800JWW. when I run a load it stops after about 7 minutes and the start button flashes. If I press it the machine continues for another few minutes and then stops again until I press the start button again. It will continue this way. I pulled the error code, which was E46. That corresponds to a motor or inverter problem. I ran the t10 and t11 test and the drum spun both ways and spun up to 400 RMP. I once had a problem of it starting and stopping and found an online chat where someone mentioned that there was a hole in the pressure tube. I replaced the pressure tube that time which resolved the problem. I don't recall what error code I had back then, but I found that same online chat and they had error code E22. If the tub is spinning back and forth and in the spin cyle is the E46 error code wrong? could it actually be the pressure tube again, or maybe the water valve?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 6 to 7 years old. model WCVH6800JWW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can. I once had to replace the drum. I had to take apart the whole machine. Im not as good with electronics
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's it
Good afternoon im Sean and will be helping you today, let me take a closer look and I'll be back
I unfortunately do not know enough about this particular model im gonna open it up to another expert.

First check the filter and the water pump for any obstructions . If the machine does not drain all the water out it won't spin. This is done because on a front loader if there is any water still in tub and it tries to spin ( up to 1200 rpm ) the machine will vibrate violently.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This model has an access door on the lower front panel to unscrew the filter and the filter pulls out. There was one coin in the filter. That did not resolve the problem. Do I need the pull out the pump too? Can something have past the filter? By the way, although the wash cycle kept stopping i set the control to the spin/drain cycle and it did spin and drain.

you can reach your finger in to the impeller part of the pump and feel if the impeller is missing vanes or about to fall off. You said on the tests it only got to 400 rpm max , is that correct ?

Are you sure the error code was E46 I show an E45 , but no E46 ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't do a call right now as i am at work and not in front of the machine. I am positive as to the e46 code. I see others online have that same code. I am stepping into a meeting now. I don't know the best way to proceed. What hours are you available?

I am in and out a lot myself. Just respond back whenever I'll see it . In meantime I'll call the tech line on the E46 and what is the maximum spin speed you attained - 400 rpm ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see that my model has an additional number. I don't know if that means something. It is WCVH6800J1WW. What is strange is that online there is mention of a t14 test of the high speed spin. But my Model only tests through t13. I don't think the t13 test is the high speed spin so it only does a middle spin. Is it possible that it is a control panel problem and giving a wrong code and causing these problems?

Y​ou mentioned you once had to replace the drum ( possibly really the basket ? ) I wonder if the error code is still stored from that problem. Do your diagnostics again and clear the error code this time and then try doing a wash . If it continues with previous problem - now check if there is a different error code stored. If the same error code appears - replace the drive motor - the motor windings are getting too hot.

The cheapest source for the motor is www.searspartsdirect.com Part number WH20X10028 $222.00

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last night I confirmed that there were no blockages in the filter or pump. I cleared the e46 error code and ran a regular and spin cycle empty and it ran with no issue. I then ran a regular wash with heavy towels and it kept stopping again and I got the e46 error code. I also tried just the drain and spin and it would not spin. Is that consistent with your conclusion that the motor needs to be replaced?

Y​es , with a load the motor would draw more amps . Also confirmed this with GE tech line and they said the same thing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I called ge and told them I was unhappy that the motor went after seven years. They offered to sell it to me for $100. But, of course, it's out of stock. Thanks for your help.

Too bad , that is a good price. Happen to have that motor here at the store. Our cost ( wholesale ) is $ 193.50 . Please rate my answers - it's how I get paid from Just Answer.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.