Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washing machine will bang and vibrate if i wash a full

my washing machine will bang and vibrate if i wash a full load. I have found what looks like pieces of plastic inside of the washing machine.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is an Amana top load, probably 5-6 years old. I would have to dig to find the paperwork but I'm sure I still have it. It does lock after you start it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on how complicated it might be.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you happen to have a model number located on a sticker below the lid tucked down underneath (not on the lid itself) by the hinges? It’s really difficult to see because they try to hide it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NTW4501XQ0

Perfect, thank you

Since you're seeing plastic inside the tub, it sounds like your basket drive is stripping out inside the basket or the top balance ring on the basket is loose. You can check the top balance ring by just removing the top panel of the washer and unclipping the splash ring. If that isn't the issue, you'd need a spanner wrench to remove the basket so you can remove the inner basket and see what is going on exactly. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to disassemble this style washer (this Amana is made by Whirlpool since they bought them out in 2006). There should be obvious signs of damage if you're getting plastic pieces in the wash.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?