Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an upright freezer that had been unplugged for a

I have an upright...

I have an upright freezer that had been unplugged for a year. I turned it on over 48 hours and the interior is not getting cold. Motor is running, light is on but temp is reading 61o. I have it set at -2. The freezer is about 11 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

The make is Kenmore Elite. Model # 253.26092100

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, out of my range of knowledge I wanted to sell it because of downsizing and had turned it on to show that it was a working properly.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is in a garage, and has been there (in use) for the past 6 years. Last year we did not need such a large freezer and turned it off. That was a year ago. There is a control pad on the door. Very simple. On the bottom grill there is a battery compartment for the alarm. I am in a quandary about whether to fix or trash it.

9/12/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the refrigerator is running but it's not cooling down, the thermostats and controls are working properly. Unfortunately that means that either you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. It's trying to cool but since it's not getting down to temperature, you'd need a technician to check the freon pressure and see if you're low on freon or need a new compressor. A freon leak costs about $450 to repair and a new compressor is about $650. Neither are probably worth fixing, but that's completely up to you. I'm very sorry about the bad news and wish I had better news for you today.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thank you so much for your answer. I was assuming because of the age and the time not in use that I might have compromised the compressor.