Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator keeps setting itself to H 1 after I set it

Customer Question

My refrigerator keeps setting itself to H 1 after I set it to 5
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It's a double door freezer and fridge I have to walk downstairs to get the model number. The freezer is working fine it's the fridge part that keeps setting the temp to H1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Fridgudare the model is FFSS2614QS6A and the serial number 4A60618073
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Is the H1 appear on the refrigerator or freezer display?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fridgerator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After the power went out from the hurricane it started to do this
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK well this "H1" means that the temperature is too "hi" in the refrigerator section. I understand you have set the temperature to 5, but you must give it 12 hours to get down to temperature. If after 12 hours it doesn't reach your set temperature, something is wrong. The refrigerator steals air from the freezer section to cool so the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running? If it's not running you'd need to replace the fan motor.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to take everything out of the freezer side and let it thaw out the fridge side is hot and is at H1
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, that is what I'd do to start. Then after it thaws if it still won't work right, the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running? If it's not running you'd need to replace the fan motor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are the coils on the top or bottom bc it's a lot of food in there so I wanted to know where to take the food out from?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

They are at the bottom of the freezer so you have to unscrew the lower back panel inside the freezer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok and if it's frost on there do I just wipe it off?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Thaw it out with a hair dryer because it'll prevent the air from circulating properly if it's too thick---the same as the fan not running--air can't circulate into the refrigerator section properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Good luck again. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I unplug the fridge? The motor is running
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

yes