McgiverSR
McgiverSR, Customer Service
Experience:  epa universal certified ,over 35 years in the field
97494692

Thermador PRDS486GL Looking for conversion kit - propane to

Customer Question

Thermador PRDS486GL Looking for conversion kit - propane to natural gas. Part 00414179. Cannot find anyone who has this discontinued part. Are there any options??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 3 months - since we became eligible for gas. working on conversion for whole house and this is my last obstacle. I hate to buy a whole new range - this one awesome
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no - but I have run into dead end with appliance repair co. They just say the part is no longer available and I will have to buy new range.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance in question?
Customer: Thermador PRDS486GL - 15 yrs old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need a solution - even if it is after market conversion - the unit is no longer under warranty anyway
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  McgiverSR replied 1 month ago.
Hello I have done a lot of these type conversions always from natural to lp.to go back to natural remove kit.here is the reason Lp operates at 10.5 inches of water column so the burner orifices are considerably smaller and if the appliance has a regulator a small spring and a small pin are used to block regulator open.to make it work on natural either install a gas regulator that can deliver 3.5 in water column of natural gas or unnlock existing regulator.the last thing would be to drill your existing L.p. orifices larger to the same size as a natural gas orifice and I will find out what size drill bit you need
Expert:  McgiverSR replied 1 month ago.
Ok 10.5÷ 3.5=3 so if your l.p. orifice is 1/16inch Drill a hole 1/16× 3 = 3/16 inch bit only drill to 1/8 inch reason being to adjust for altitude and you can always redrill to larger size .also do 1 burner at a time and check before going to next.
Expert:  McgiverSR replied 1 month ago.
I hope this helps