Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Is it possible for a heating element to get to hot. Mind…

Customer Question
Is it possible for...

Is it possible for a heating element to get to hot. Mind appear to get white hot during the wash cycle?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Whirlpool. Don't have model # . About 9-10 years old. Thx.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly, but didn't know if that is normal. Thought there was a fuse somewhere to protect unit? Don't want to start a fire

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that is it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 11 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There is a NTC Sensor, ( A thermostat) that cuts the element on and off based on the the temperature of the water and also the inside the heating element there are fuses that will blow if and kill the element at a certain amp draw to avoid that issue. The element is probably just getting old so its turning that color when its heating, nothing to worry about.

Now that I have given you an initial answer to your question I would ask at this time that you go ahead and rate my assistance because we are not compensated for our time unless you do. Even after you have rated I will continue to help you at no charge if you have any follow up questions. You rate my assistance by clicking on one of the empty stars located at the top right of your question page on Just Answer. The 5th star to the right is the best rating and I hoped I have earned that. If you are using a mobile phone and can't locate the star rating system scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find it there. Thank you for seeing to this at this time and then if you have any follow up questions please let me know. Rating my assistance will in no way affect the charges for this service.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?