Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We are having trouble with our Samsung refrigerator model #

RFG237AARS. It is working/ cooling...
We are having trouble with our Samsung refrigerator model # RFG237AARS. It is working/ cooling intermittently. Both the refrigerator and freezer sections are affected. I have unplugged it several times to try and reset the computer. No error codes on startup. When I look for codes I see "88 88".
I have also cleaned around the condenser and coils on the bottom/ back. The fan by the condenser was running and the condenser was warm.
This problem has been occurring for weeks. I need some help diagnosing and fixing it.
Please help!
Thanks in advance
-Chris
9/11/2017
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I see that your question has been sitting for a while are you still needing help with this matter?

On my way to workWill contact you later today
Hi TravisI am home from workPlease respond at your earliest convenience

just so I understand its showing 88 88 on your unit?

Display is normal. I see 8888 when I look for error codes

lets try this if these are the buttons on your top left and right I need you to press which ever buttons are on the top left and right on the panel.

Simply press the top left (Engery Saver) and top right (Alarm) buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds--it will beep and reset the panel.

Just did this88 88 appears
Then goes back to normal

does the temp rise when this happens? Could it just be going into defrost mode?

Set at 0 and 34 degrees and right now think temps are goodMore than just defrost. Temps have gone way up and things in freezer are soft and ice cubes melt in ice maker
Things in freezer get softRight now frozen
Refrigerator section also warms up

so then the only thing that would make sense would be if the main control board is the issue and shorting out for some reason.

I saw 2 boards when I took the back panel off a couple of weeks agoI saw 2 big one and small oneI assume the main board is the bigger one - correct
2 boards1 largeOne smaller
Ok I'll order itAny other possibilities while I am ordering parts

the only other possibility would be the inverter board. The sad thing is these things can not be tested they just have to be replaced.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/DA92-00215C/0046/401.html?modelNumber=RFG237AARS/XAA-0000&categoryName=Bottom-Mount%20Refrigerator&brandName=SAMSUNG

Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Please send link for this partWill order the big one and possibly the small one if not too muchI will let you know what happensThanks

I just sent the link to the smaller one at the top do you see it/

.

please disregard the service offer that was not meant to be clicked.

OkI will order and let you know what happensThanks

you are very welcome. I was glad to have been of assistance to you this evening.

Please be assured that I will supply a rating so that you get paid.However, I have not even received the part yet (scheduled for delivery tomorrow) and don't feel comfortable providing the rating until the part is installed and I know the refrigerator is fixed.

sorry if the site is asking you to come back and rate its just reminders for customers who dont rate. I do understand why you are waiting. Also keep in mind rating does not stop you from getting back to me on this thread. You can still come back to me just bookmark the page.

travis webb
Problem fixed - thank youJust submitted a 5 rating
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Spoke too soonIt seem to work for a week or 2 with a few minor warnings but now Having the same problem againBoth the refrigerator and freezer are warmWhat's the next stepI
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am very unhappy. Been waking for a response for way too long - over 38 hours.I will be asking for another expert and writing an unfavorable review

I am so sorry for the delay. I have been out with my kids I am back now though if you are wanting to continue. Again my apologies for the long wait.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This week both the refrigerator and the freezer went out for hours, which meant that much of their content had to be thrown away. So this means that the main control board wasn't the problem. I need to get this fixed. Please advise me as what the next course of action is.

now the main board was replaced? I know we had talked about the only other possibility as to being the inverter board. You had said you might replace it as well. Did you end up replacing it too?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the main board was replaced.No I did not replace the inverter board. I did not want to spend more than $100 if it was not necessary.What does the inventor board do and how is it related to the problem?

well the inverter board provides power to the main control board. Since these things can not be tested its hard to tell which one the problem is. Its normally always the main control board though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there any other possibilities like a temp sensor or compressor

just to be certain the compressor is running correct?

and its running warm and not hot? As well as the fan in the freezer is running too right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The compressor was warm and running when I checked it several weeks agoRight now everything is cold so I assume it's ok nowWhere is the freezer fan

the freezer fan is located behind the freezer wall. Although honestly it wouldn't make sense to not be cooling both parts to be the freezer fan. So either the main control board went bad again or the problem is with the inverter board as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This frig has "twin cooling" does that mean only 1 fan ?No error codes when I last checked after main board was replaced. Got 88 88 with the original boardEarly on you mentioned the defroster - any chance this or timer??? is problematic

if it was in the defrost cycle that could be the issue but its doesnt last like that. The defrost timer can most certainly be tested.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I test the defrost timer

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/DA3200006S/2030281

part and test with a multimter for continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is it

it is right behind the freezer wall where the condenser coils are right above them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are these the coils near the condenser that I see when I take off the lower access panel on the back of the frig

nope its on the inside of the unit not on the back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only thing I remember seeing was something on the roof of freezer compartment. Is that it or is it somewhere elseThis frig has a bottom draw freezer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drawer

yeah I understand you will need to pull the drawer out. Once you pull the drawer out you will push up and out on the back wall through the inside. Once you remove it you will see these coils and the sensor right about it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fell asleep last night and working now but will order both parts and get back to you next week

sounds good please do keep me posted.

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb