Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a whirlpool refergator the model is W10360467A.

Customer Question

we have a whirlpool refergator the model is W10360467A. Purchased in 2014. The Freezer door will not open? It is in a second home and does not recieve much use. We think perhaps one of our kids didn't fully shut the freezer the last time we were here about 2 months ago.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2/12 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if it is simple, we have unplugged the refigerator and are hoping that it if it is frozen shut the melt will allow us to open the door.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i've cleaned out the entire refrigerator.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately it does sound like your freezer door is frozen shut. Since it's a second home, there is no telling how bad the ice built up, but you'll want to unplug the refrigerator and put towels under the freezer door. It'll take at least 24 hours to thaw out if not more time before you can open the freezer door.

As for why this happened, the drain line freezes over due to a poor design. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?