Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

I just had my Superba 42 built in refrigerator looked at by

Customer Question

Hi - I just had my Superba 42 built in refrigerator looked at by someone and got a quote of $2200 to replace a clogged capillary tube and coil at the bottom of the freezer (the coil is not broken and he suggested fixing it because it is common for it to go bad and better to replace now when the whole fridge is out. Is this a reasonable quote?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Superba 42 KitchenAId
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Nope - too complicated.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is in San Jose, CA
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 1 month ago.

It is a good idea to have several quotes for trade jobs, it is possible that the chap you saw just did not want to do the job and quoted very high, I think it is very high

If it is proved correct and similar to other quotes, I would simply replace it for that money... if one thing goes wrong, it may cascade, and new comes with a warranty... $2200 will get you quite a lot of new fridge