Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a ge range. It seems to be cycling from on to off. If

Customer Question

I have a ge range. It seems to be cycling from on to off. If I turn off the cooking ring, the lights dim in the kitchen.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is about 5 years old. Looking for manual to get model. Not sure of the exact model. It has a glass top, oven, and clock.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: only if it's easy!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It cycles from having power to not (clock lights go off). If I turn off the burner, the lights go dim in the kitchen.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A couple more items since initially writing. Only one of the range units seems to be heating, and it does not glow red as usual. The oven does not work.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I sounds like you are not get the proper 240vac supply to you stove. You may need an electrician but first go turn off the breaker to the stove an turn it back on. Do this a few times. If you have fuses instead of breaker they need to be checked. You may find the breaker or fuse box damaged. If this doesn't change anything you will need to call an electrician. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had already done that. The controls and clock on the range are all showing that they have power. The power seems to be cycling - I can hear a click and the clock stops/flashes.

The clock only needs 120vac and there are two to make the 240vac for the oven. The breaker is a dual breaker and one side could be bad or there is another spot where there is a short or open in the home wiring. The chances of this being a problem in the oven are slim. You need an electrician or a test meter to check for proper voltage to the stove. There should be two 120vac lines and one 240vac across both of the 120vac lines.

How did it go for you? Do you still need help?