Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE dishwasher that won't consistently drain. After

Customer Question

I have a GE dishwasher that won't consistently drain. After several hours of troubleshooting I have determined that the drain solenoid is likely the problem. It engages every time but it won't remain engaged long enough to drain all the water that needs to be drained. Its like it gets lazy. I can manually engage it and the drain valve will stay open. Sometimes it the valve stays open on its own and everything works perfectly and sometimes it won't drain no matter how many times I press reset. What I'd like to know is if it's the control panel, the solenoid or somehow the valve which is attached to the motor which is way to expesive to replace.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 month ago.

The drain solenoid isn't electrically opened very long . The force of the water through the flapper inside the pump keeps it open.You need to check the drain hose for a partial obstruction and most importantly the screen on the sump side of the pump for obstructions.