Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a samsung rf22 french door stainless steel fridge. it…

Customer Question
I have a samsung...

I have a samsung rf22 french door stainless steel fridge. it is only about 8 months old. It has recently started producing a chemical type smell that seems to saturate food and even ice in my ice tray. I do don't use the ice maker, so the ice off setting is engaged. I am told that there is plastic film throughout the fridge that should have been removed apon installation. (The guys from the store installed it) Can you tell me where the locations are that this plastic film is?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Manufactured Dec. 2015. We bought it new about 8 months ago. Model# *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/9/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. So the smell is with the ice maker itself? You said you dont use it at all? Does it make ice ever? Has it ever? What about the water do you use it?

I have no idea where the smell is coming from. Many folks have had this problem from my research it has to do with plastic protective film that needs to be removed apon installation. the ice maker has never been used. it does not have a water dispenser.

ok just wanted to make sure give me a moment to pull up some information for you and I will be right with you.

have you checked the back walls to see if there is a film over them? What about behind the unit have you checked there as well?

I mainly want to know where the protective stuff is, so I can remove it.
I don't see anything on the back walls. I have not pulled it out yet, I was hoping to avoid that. It is a pretty tight fit.

The thing is the fact the unit has been running all these months without an issue I dont think that is what you problem is. They are typically delivered with plastic on the front and or back along with plastic on the shelves and drawers. All of those things would have been removed and typically are blue plastic. So it doesn't make sense for it to be plastic after all these months. I think you have a deeper problem possibly going on. Either that or there is still plastic on the back.

Okay, I thought this may have been a common problem that you have dealt with. Given the amount of complaints I have read about it. I will pull the fridge out and search for it. I will also search the Ice maker, and underneath. Please don't charge me.
John, Home Appliance Technician