Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am having problems with my whirlpool cabrio filling with…

Customer Question
I am having problems...

I am having problems with my whirlpool cabrio filling with water

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It starts to fill for a min then it stops and a f flashes on the control panel

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can I will

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model number wtw6400sw2

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

There should be a number that flashes after the "F" appears. Can you tell me what number that is?

It starts to fill for a minute then stops. And f then 50 flashes

Perfect. I see you requested a phone call and I can certainly call you if you'd like, but I was just about to send you my answer so perhaps you'd like to read my answer first. So this error means that the washer thinks something is stuck between the inner and outer basket. Sometimes that is the case, but most of the time it's actually just a bad main control board inside the control panel. I'll give you the instructions on how to remove the inner basket to check and see if clothing is stuck between, but if you find nothing then you need to replace main control board so here is a link to the board.

CLICK HERE for control board

Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and
the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.

12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.

13. With the basket is off you will be able to see if anything is stuck between the baskets and you can do a little shaft maintenance. You'll see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.

14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Would you still like a phone call?

No I don't think it's necessary. I'll check it out. Is a control panel something that I could do myself?

OK no problem. And yes definitely, this is an easy replacement. Below is a link to a video on how to do that.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?