Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I need to replace the screw holding the ignitor on a Jenn…

Customer Question
I need to replace...

I need to replace the screw holding the ignitor on a Jenn Air model JGS9900BDS. It looks as though the screw is deteriorated and that the head will break off. Any thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2008. Model number on the nameplate is JGS9900BDS. Serial Number 16194007NP

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I can get the screws out, should I replace them with stainless steel ones that would not be subject to corrosion?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/8/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Place a little oil on it before you try to remove it, that should help to get it out easily. The exact screw is available below.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

I already tried using Blaster penetrating oil on the screws, and it does not work. The problem which is documented on the internet is that the carbon steel screws deteriorate to the point that the Phillips head slots are rusted and the threads are rusted. Typically the screw head breaks off and you are stuck with the remainder of the screw in the threads.I was hoping that perhaps someone was familiar with the situation since you advertised as having answers to Jenn Air stove problems. Apparently not.

Okay, good luck.

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

do you still need assistance on your question ?

Master Tech
Master Tech