Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

We just purchased a newly remodeled home in Rancho Mirage,

Customer Question

We just purchased a newly remodeled home in Rancho Mirage, California, that came with a new Whirlpool refrigerator, but the ice maker doesn't work. I could kick myself for just trusting the inspector to identify problems. Can you suggest any ways to get it working right?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I'm not in the room, but it is less than a year old. It is a pretty standard model, refrigerator on the right, freezer on the left, with the computer screen on the freezer door above where the water/ice is supposed to emerge when you press the little paddle.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if it is doable. The refrigerator is on and working, as is the freezer, but there is no ice and no water dispensing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. It didn't come with a handbook, but I figured out how to use the control screen to adjust the temperature of the refrigerator. I just can't figure out how to make the ice maker work.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Odds are the water supply line to the back of the refrigerator is shut off and needs to be turned on, probably was shut off during the remodeling phase pretty common thing to do. Find the shut off valve to the water supply line feeding the refrigerator and make sure its on and has water pressure. Once you do that let me know if it was on or not, if it was not on and you turn it on it will take up to 24 hours for the ice maker to start producing ice but you should have water coming out of the dispenser.

Now that I have given you an initial answer to your question I would ask at this time that you go ahead and rate my assistance because we are not compensated for our time unless you do. Even after you have rated I will continue to help you at no charge if you have any follow up questions. You rate my assistance by clicking on one of the empty stars located at the top right of your question page on Just Answer. The 5th star to the right is the best rating and I hoped I have earned that. If you are using a mobile phone and can't locate the star rating system scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find it there. Thank you for seeing to this at this time and then if you have any follow up questions please let me know. Rating my assistance will in no way affect the charges for this service.