Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I purchased a Panasonic microwave, model NN-******, for my…

Customer Question
I purchased a Panasonic...

I purchased a Panasonic microwave, model NN-******, for my fifth wheel trailer. It will be installed in a custom sized area without an external vent. (1) My old microwave had two heat shields. Will I need to install a heat shield on this new Panasonic? (2) I need to drill holes into the frame for sheet metal screws that will be used to secure the microwave, so it won't move or fall out while travelling. Behind the door there appears to be a frame that may be an inch or two wide. After this, would it be safe to drill enough for a 1/4" sheet metal screw? Same question if I need to install a heat shield on the side where the vent is.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic NN-******. It is brand new ... never used.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I'm sure the new microwave works just fine. I'm replacing a Samsung microwave that died.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/7/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 9 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This unit is not meant to be a built in microwave which is why you're having to install heat shields and such---it's designed to just be a countertop microwave. You will need heat shields again if you try to put this inside a cabinet. As far as where you can drill into the microwave, I would remove the screws coming in from the back of the microwave around the left, right, and top edges. Then remove the screws coming in from the right and left side of the microwave. The outer shell will then pull straight back, up, and off and you can see if there are wires or anything else that you shouldn't be drilling into where you want to place the screws. There is a frame around all the edges, but there are wires that run near several of these edges as well.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.