Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE microwave JVM****** is not heating. Should I buy a new

Customer Question

My GE microwave JVM****** is not heating. Should I buy a new one or is this an easy repair, JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model? Customer: 2000 JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself? Customer: if it is easy JA: Anything else we should know to help you best? Customer: no

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I don't have good news for you on this particular model I'm sorry to say. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your input. Guess we will put in a new one.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

no problem but I'm sorry about the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am satisfied with the reply Thank you. No need to talk.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

ok great. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I can prove to my husband we need a new one. Thank you for your advise Tyler gets *****
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

No problem and sorry about the bad news.