Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an LG DLEX7177WM electric dryer and it just stopped…

Customer Question
I have an LG...

I have an LG DLEX7177WM electric dryer and it just stopped drying and the "Cooling" indicator light stays on. What is the most likely problem. I have cleaned all lint from the machine and the vent leading outside.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

DLEX7177WM and I believe it was purchased in 2011.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe, depends on difficulty.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Power supply is fine.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/7/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The cooling light issue means that the dryer thinks that it's already too hot inside the dryer. Now this could be a bad thermistor or a faulty control board. you'll need to take the dryer apart and check the resistance of the thermistor which is mounted to the vent on the dryer below the drum. It should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature and if it's not, you'll want to replace it---otherwise you'll want to order and replace the display control board. Below is a link to the thermistor you're looking for to test. You'll need a multimeter to test resistance and if you don't have it, just replace the thermistor as it's the most likely culprit.

CLICK HERE for thermistor

This is really not an easy to get inside the dryer unfortunately. To gain access, you need to pull the dryer forward and unplug it. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in from the inside of the dryer going into the control panel. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Open the door and you need to remove the 2 screws below the door way. Now you can remove the front panel to access the inside of the dryer and vent assembly.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I will try that and get back to you.

ok good luck

No, I cant tackle it right now. Have to try it tomorrow.

ok, again good luck.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?