Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher DP8500XBNO. It is leaking

I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher DP8500XBNO.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is leaking under the float. I need instructions to remove and check the float.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is this a common problem?

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

It is not common to leak under the float at all. Usually that only occurs if the float switch isn't cutting off the water and it's filling with too much water, or something is going on with the bottom spray arm causing waves in the bottom of the tub. You'll need to remove the kick panel below the door to access the center stem of the float which goes down below the tub. Unplug the dishwasher and locate the stem. There is a little metal nut on the bottom of the steam which you need to unscrew so that you can open the door and pull the float straight up and off. If you have a lot of build up, clean the build up under the float. Other than that put the float back in place and make sure it hits the switch below the tub. If that all checks good, then try to clean your wash arm holes with a toothpick in case they are partially clogged causing the water to spray awkwardly causing waves. Lastly I would replace the wash arm which has been re-designed and is part number WP3376848 if the dishwasher is level and everything else checks good.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Instructions on how to replace washer arm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone please tell me here.

Fairly simple, just grab the top rubber locking nut in the center of the bottom wash arm and turn it counter clockwise to unscrew it from the wash arm itself. Then the top locking nut pulls off and the wash arm will pull off.

Below is a link to the rubber locking nut I am referring to that you must unscrew.

CLICK HERE to see rubber locking nut

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I removed the metal arm and it is clean. Could the float switch be out of adjustment?
Could it be overfilling?
On one wash cycle about 3 min, no rinse, it leaks at the bottom of the float in surges. 1 cup of water.

There is a plastic bearing under the arm that can wear out and if so, replace that bearing as it will cause surges. It doesn't sound like it's overfilling to me if it's leaking in surges, it sounds like the water in the base is creating waves and it shouldn't. I would replace parts 24 and 22 on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE for parts

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That sounds logical to me.
#22 is the spray arm, is the bearing on it? #24 is a side panel kit not available.

The look-up is really weird on that site for some reason---many things are listed as #24, but to be clear 24 is the bearing and it's part AP6010752.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whirlpool does not acknowledge that part #

Correct, that is the part number from the side I gave you. Whirlpool's part number is ***** I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whirlpool is out of stock. Where would you recommend I purchase part?

The site I gave you a link to already. Here is a link to the part once again.

CLICK HERE for bearing

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any where else I can buy it. They only ship Fed EX. I am in Petersburg AK and they want $19.00 to ship. Fed X just takes it to the post office and mails it.

I have no idea, you'll have to shop around. Again, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?