Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a maytag dishwasher that will not close - it is

Customer Question
We have a maytag...

We have a maytag dishwasher that will not close - it is electronically locked in the open position. replaced the lock assembly, but still will not work.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2009

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model is MDB8851AWW1.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/6/2017
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

Your dishwasher doesnt have an 'electronic lock'

Does the door seem like it is bumping up against something hard when you move it to the locking position?

Is this the part you replaced?

click here

The door is not hitting anything. The locking mechanism is locked in the closed position, but the door is open, so it will not shut. This was the problem with the old locking mechanism, so I just bought a new one and replaced it. Now the same thing
happens with the new one. It worked correctly the first time (i.e., the door closed and the dishwasher ran). but then when we opened it up, the door "locked" again in the open position, and now will not close. It was able to run in the open position
(with some leaking water of course), but now does not even do that.

Is this the part you replaced?

click here

also, the original part went bad just after I replaced the heater element in the bottom of the dishwasher.

if you have the old one to look at it would help.

The latch uses a "rolling pawl" to capture the catch on the dishwasher frame.

If you look at it closely you will see what looks like a wheel with a hook. What has happened is somehow is, the handle was lifted while the door was opened, rotating the pawl into the closed position.

You just need to get something hook or loop shaped to catch the hook on the pawl and rotate it forward. There is a substantial spring keeping it locked so it takes a little pulling effort to move it. Just pull on it steady and it will jump forward into the open position. You can then close the door properly.

Did you have any questions on what I explained?

I do not think this will fix the problem, since when I put the new one in, nothing physically happened to the door that should have made it lock in the open position. It was working fine (once) in the closed position, then we simply opened the door
and it was locked in the open position. Maybe I should try to uninstall the new latch and re-install to see if that fixes the problem.

You can reset the latch on the machine. I have run across this problem many times. Have you tried resetting it?

I had tried resetting it before, and it did not work. I tried again now, and it would not reset.

It is possible that the new latch is broken somehow, if you have not had it long, maybe you could return it for another or take another look at the other latch and see if you can reset it. It can be tricky to get a good grab on the pawl, but I had a woman a month ago with the same problem and she was able to get it after getting a hook tool on it.

When you say it will not reset, what is happening? Is it rolling and just snaps back or not rolling at all?

It is not rolling at all, and I have a good hook tool to pull it with.

I would say then that something must be broken inside the latch.

You will have to replace it.

Agree?

Well the latch is not working, any the previous one mysteriously stopped working properly when I replaced
the heater element. I do not think it's as simple as just that its not working and replace it, since it went into the
lock position for no apparent reason. I think it is an electronic failure of the dishwasher that triggered both of
these events. I could return this and buy a new one. but my best guess is that the same thing will recur.
thank you.
thank you for trying.

I can only tell you that there is nothing that electronically makes that latch move. There are two switches on it that complete the power circuit to the dishwasher and the rest is simple mechanics. I have 4 of these latches on my truck and they break all the time.

Take some time to look at the old one closely and I am sure you should be able to figure out how it works.

May I ask that you take the time to rate my help tonight as positive for JA before you log off the question. You can still come back it if you have any additional questions about this subject.

It is the only way I am compensated for my time with you.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions!

Thanks

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician