Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Buzzer for kenmore 253.26062102 upright freezer is

Buzzer for kenmore 253.26062102...

Buzzer for kenmore 253.26062102 upright freezer is continuously on and the lights at the bottom are orange and red

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

At least 10 years old model 253.26062102

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The inside stuff is no longer frozen

9/5/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Everything appears to be clear. I pulled the back panel inside the freezer and the coils are completely clean at this point. I have lowered the temperature to -7 degrees to see what happens overnight. Are there any parts I can replace?

If they are not frosty and just clean bare aluminum the unit it out of freon.

Can I simply add freon. I turned the temperature down as low as I could on the thermostat. I believe that setting was -7. The upper portion of the coils were frosty but the bottom was not.

You would need to put a tap valve on the suction line and weigh in the freon, but it will leak out eventually.

Is a freon leak the only apparent issue. Is there a way to test to make sure that it is for sure a freon leak?

Put a tap valve on the suction side line and check the pressure. If it is reads in the vacuum on the gauge you have a leak.

Do you have instructions for how to do that and where I might get a tap valve. Is there a certain type, etc.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician