Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The ice maker on our Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer no

longer works. It hasn't worked...
The ice maker on our Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer no longer works. It hasn't worked in a long time. Some repair guy wanted to charge me a lot to fix it, so I probably did without it. Now my wife wants it fixed. Could you help me diagnose the problem and then tell me where to get a replacement part, if needed? If the entire unit needs to be replaced, I think there are youtube videos that show how to do it, which is fine. I'll post the model/serial number soon.
9/2/2017
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

What is the unit doing or not diong?

What did the servicer say was wrong with it?

It's not making ice! :-) It's been a while since it's made ice. I can't remember what the technician said other than the unit needed to be replaced for $200-300.

ok so if it is just not making ice it will be either the icemaker or the water inlet valve not giving the icemaker water to make ice.

So does the icemaker have any water or ice in the cube cavities at this time?

and he said the unit needed to be replaced ((Unit )) is in the icemaker?

I think he said the ice making unit needed to be replaced. We had some loose ice we put in the tray. It was ice leftover from a bag we used for a party. I have it in the ON position. The water supply seems to be on.
OK, nothing is happening on my side.
Hi, did you give up on this?

No I did not give up ,But
I do not work on Sundays!! and Monday was a Holiday!

Can you answer my one questions .You may have not seen it ,,So does the icemaker have any water or ice in the cube cavities at this time?

I understand. No rush on my end. There are no ice cubes or water in our container.

ok NOT in the ice storage container ,but in the ice maker cube cavities !

If you just feel in the top of the icemaker, and tell me it the ice maker cavities empty , have standing water in them ,or does it have ice in the cavities ready to be dropped into the ice cube container.

Sorry for delay. There's nothing in the cavities.

ok So there is NO ice or water in the ice maker cube cavities. which means the last time the icemaker cycled it did not refill .

Which could be the icemaker module not giving voltage to the water inlet valve or the valve not opening to bring water in when it is getting voltage from the icemaker

If you remove the front white square cover from the icemaker you can manually cycle the icemaker to see if it will fill or not.

Once you remove the ice maker cover you will see small holes with letters next to the holes .find L and V L is for line voltage and V is for valve.

With a short piece of #12 insulated wire make a U shaped jumper and jump the L to V and the ice maker should begin to cycle ,after it begins to move remove the jumper and let the icemaker rotate a full revolution and tell me if it fills of mot!

this will help you also.

Thanks! Sorry I dropped off face of earth. I thought I had rated you.
It won't let me rate you now. Maybe you have to respond first.

Oh no problem.

Thank you !

Master Tech
Master Tech
Master Tech