Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool oven, model # rbd305pds14. Control board…

I have a whirlpool oven...
I have a whirlpool oven, model # rbd305pds14. Control board quit working, oven light would come on and oven would beep but that was all. I ordered a new control board and installed it. When the power was turned back on everything worked for a couple of minutes then it turned off. A few minutes later the transformer started smoking and made a pop sound. So the question is: If the transformer is now replaced will that fix the problem and do you think the control board has been harmed?
8/31/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The transformer doesn't usually take out the board when it goes bad. You should just need to replace the power transformer above your oven and you should be good to go again. There is unfortunately no way to test to know for certain, but I've never had to replace both the transformer and the board together unless it was a known lightning strike that hit the house. The only thing that would short out the transformer is just a bad transformer or if power wasn't coming into the oven properly so make sure the power coming into the is connected correctly.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler are you still there?

yes, I'm still here.

Tyler, I have some more questions about the oven. If the transformer doesn't effect the control board then why would the control board work for a few minutes and then go out and the transformer start smoking?

I never said the transformer doesn't effect the control board. The transformer is what sends power to the control board. What I said was the control board doesn't usually get affected when the transformer fails.