Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

1985 hotpoint side by side model wrx22efb. Freezer is only…

1985 hotpoint side by side...
1985 hotpoint side by side model wrx22efb. Freezer is only 20 to 30 degrees depending if evaporator fan is running. Condenser fan underneath runs constantly and I assume the compressor does too. The evaporator fan motor is intermittent, running less than half the time I check the fridge while the condenser fan runs all the time. Do you thing the evaporator fan motor is bad or is it more likely a control/thermostat problem? Thanks Travis Williams
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ?

Hey Tyler, I took the panel of the back of the freezer compartment, no ice at all. The evaporator coil is somewhat cold but sweating a little and the fan under the fridge continues to run constantly. The evaporator fan still runs intermittent

OK perfect. That's a big problem. That means your compressor is either bad or you have a freon leak. You'd need a technician to tap into the freon system to check the pressures. If you're low on freon then you need a leak repaired which is about $450. If you're not low on freon, then you need a new compressor and that is about $650. Neither option is good unfortuantely and I'm very sorry about the bad news. Honestly at this age, I would probably just replace the refrigerator rather than repair it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I'm not sure where my answer went, but I wrote you back and it's gone now. Either way, you either have a freon leak or an inefficient/bad compressor. You would need a technician to check the freon pressure to know if you have a freon leak or need a new compressor, but a freon leak is about $450 to have repaired and a new compressor is about $650 so it's not a cheap repair and given the age I think it would be better to replace the refrigerator rather than repair it.

Thanks Bud, I think I'll buy a new one. Five stars for you.

No problem but I'm sorry about the bad news. Have a great holiday weekend.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
What causes the evaporator fan to run off and on. Is it sensing low pressure?

No, that would be either a bad fan motor, a bad thermostat (if everything is shutting off), or the defrost sensor on the top of the silver evaporator coils isn't cold enough so that cuts power to the fan motor if it thinks it's too warm to be blowing air.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc