Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ice maker Refrigerator model number KSCS25INSS01 is not…

My ice maker Refrigerator...

My ice maker Refrigerator model number KSCS25INSS01 is not working. I have freezer with on off switch rather than wire cutoff. water is flowing out of water dispenser, a\water filter has been replaced

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Unit is 15 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have checked the temperature setting, freezer and refrigerator and it is as recommended

8/24/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Back again, sorry for billing issue.
the red light flashes twice. when flap is shut, the red light stays on. The white fingers are not pointing upwards. My computer for this chat is upstairs, the refrigerator is downstairs, I will go back and forth as needed.
Let try chatting for now.
awaiting your next suggestions
Are you there?
Please let me know if you will be helping me, give the delay for getting the credit card reactivated, Otherwise, do I request another Expert?

I'm here, just reading your information now.

OK so it sounds like your emitter boards are working properly but either the icemaker is bad or water isn't getting up to the icemaker. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (you will probably need a turkey baster or water bottle with spout since it's a tight area) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the rubber black fill tube above the icemaker on the right side and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ok, I will fill with water and see if the cycling wor k in the next 24 hours. If success but does not refill with water, I will take the next step. This will take some time before I know we succeeded.

Well, that isn't going to fix anything---I want you to be clear. That is just going to tell you if you have a bad icemaker or if you're not getting water to the icemaker. If it doesn't cycle, you need a new icemaker. If it does cycle then either the fill tube is frozen or the valve is bad and not sending water. This is all just part of the troubleshooting to know what is bad. Either way, I have explained all possibilities previously.

I will act upon your recommendations. Let's hope it will solve the problem

It will. Good luck to you! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Two question, I am getting water through the dispenser. Does this mean that the valve is working? If ice maker cycles through ok, is the problem highly likely to happen again soon since this is the first time occrance of problem.

No, that doesn't mean the valve is working because the valve is a dual solenoid valve so the dispenser can still function if the ice portion on the valve is not working.

Again, the icemaker will not cycle through and work. Either it cycles and dumps the ice but doesn't fill back up with water---or it doesn't cycle at all.

Thanks. Given that I have been opening the freezer door, the freezer temp in F is Currently 13, way above recommeded. Do I need to actively reset and if so, how?

No, there is no reset. You just close the door and let it run like normal over the next 24 hours and either it cycles and dumps the ice (meaning it won't refill with water), or it doesn't cycle and you need a new icemaker.

the freezer should return to 0 on its own if door stays closed?

yes.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thanks. Signing off. I'll rate your effort now. 5 Ok!

Thank you and if you need anything else along the way just let me know.

I have ordered a new ice maker to replace the ice maker unit which is confirmed to be non working. How do I remove the broken ice maker? I tried to pull it out, but it seem stuck. Should I just apply more force to yank it out or are there screws to remove first?

Below is a video on how to replace the icemaker.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

In my unit, there is no clip to unlock and release the ice maker from its holder. Suggestions?Also, my replacement ice maker has a lift wire for operations; the original one does not. Will this work, and if so, how does the lift wire attach? It did not come with instructions.

Your icemaker comes out the same as as the one in the video. As for your wire arm, for the replacement icemaker just remove the wire arm because you don't need it for your set up. It just pulls out of the holes it's clipped into.

Tyler, 24 hours since replacing with new ice maker, no ice yet. One observation; the replacement unit came with a wiring cable different than original one. It was shorter ( by about 1-2 inches and did not have "fuse" line. I re-used the original cable since it was the correct length. Could this be the problem? I don't see how I can the shorter set of wires will fit into the ice maker as it will nt reach to the opening at the righthand end of the unit. Do I need to order a correct replacement and if so, what is the parts number?If the cabling is not the issue, what do I do next?

Unless the fuse in the wiring harness is open, the wiring harness won't cause the problem. If that checks good you need to re-do my original test I told you to check and see what happens this time.

QUOTE:

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (you will probably need a turkey baster or water bottle with spout since it's a tight area) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the rubber black fill tube above the icemaker on the right side and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

How can one determine if the fuse in the wiring harness is "open"? Visually?

You need a multimeter. Then you test continuity from one end of the wire to the other. If it has no continuity then the fuse is blown

Since I don't own a multimeter, Is the next best thing to replace the fuse and try again?

No, I would probably run the test I mentioned before again first and see what happens.