Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE fridge is at least 15 years old (here when we moved

into the house). It says...
My GE fridge is at least 15 years old (here when we moved into the house). It says "automatic energy saver system" inside. The refrigerator works just fine, but all of a sudden, the door won't close by itself. You walk away assuming it will close and it just stays fully open until you push it fully closed. Nothing is blocking the door or the path – it seems like there is something wrong with the hinge that makes it snap shut. Suggestions? Is there an easy fix?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Just found it. Model TFX24RKC. Mfr Date 10/88.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Something strange is happening on my cell phone and I can't see to the bottom of our chain to see your answers.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just fix the issue with my cell phone. But not my fridge! I would love to do the work myself if I can. If I have to call the technician, is this an easy and inexpensive repair? (If such a thing exists.)
8/23/2017
ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician

Good evening, Im not really sure what exactly your asking here, But I will be more than happy to help you.

When you say close by itsself, Do you mean that when you try to push it closed it locks?

Normally, when you open the fridge and give it a little push closed – the door is weighted in such a fashion that the door will automatically snap shut on its own. All of a sudden, when I push the door closed, it doesn't really go anywhere. It appears that something is wrong with the spring in the hinge.
I can push the door all the way closed and make it sealed properly and stay shut, but if we use the fridge as usual and give it a little push closed like we are used to doing, we will come back a half hour later and find the door is still open. You have to consciously close it all the way manually because the door is not closing on its own.

Ok, does it stay wide open with the push or just slightly open at the door seal?

Wide open with a little push that would have normally made the door snap shut. Kind of seems like a broken spring or something. The freezer door still operates like normal. There's just something wrong with the door on the fridge side.

What your describing is a door cam failure most likely, I can try and locate the part for your refrigerator, But as far as doing it 99% of the time it does require taking the door completely off unfortunately

Hmmm. Feasible for an average guy -- or requires a tech? Would love to know the cost of the part and level of difficulty to do it myself. (at least there is no water dispenser or ice maker on that side)

I can't make that decision< What I can do is find the part and ill try and find a youtube video on this so you can kinda get an idea, Give me a few minutes and ill be right back

Thanks

This should give you a idea on the cam replacement, Sometimes there is a lower one as well, But I believe yours doesn't have one

Looks like this is the part that will work, I HIGHLY recommend using them as your source for the part, Because if it doesn't fix it you can send this part back and get a refund!

Thanks. We're you able to find a cost on the part?

See link above

I hope that was able to help you, Please remember to rate my service tonight with you, This is how im paid! you should see a small rating screen pop up or at the top of the page :)

Anything else I can help you with ?

ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician
Very helpful. Thanks for the links!

Your welcome, Anytime

ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician