Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Cold water dispenser not working on GE refrig. Ice maker

Cold water dispenser not working on GE refrig. Ice maker does work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model is: PS123HGEPB BB
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Friend suggested that water tank on freezer door might be frozen and I should first try using hair dryer heat to melt. What part of freezer door has the water storage?

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You're definitely on the right track. On this particular GE refrigerator, the most common issue is that the water line inside the door freezes. Remove the kick panel below the refrigerator and freezer doors and look for the water line disconnect just behind the front panel near the freezer door hinge. Disconnect the water line and shut the door. Press the water dispenser and see if water comes out of the water line at the bottom where you'd disconnected the water line. If water comes out, you'll need to just turn the refrigerator off and leave the door open for about 45 minutes and that will allow the door to heat up enough that when you connect the water line to the door again, it should start to dispense water again. Using a hair dryer to warm up the door is also very useful. It typically freezes right behind the dispenser inside the door.

There is a kit designed to add a heater to the dispenser so this does not happen in the future if the problem comes back. Below is a link to the kit and it comes with instructions on how to install it.

CLICK HERE

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.