Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Cafe Gas double oven range,model #CGS990SET5SS,

I have a GE Cafe Gas double oven range,model #CGS990SET5SS
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The convection oven wont heat up
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes,Im not an appliance guy but Im a plumber and gas contractor so if its gas related i should be fine.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The upper oven and range burners work fine. Its 2 years old

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Since the upper oven and burners still work, you'll need to test the lower oven igniter. Turn the oven on and see if the igniter glows if you remove the floor inside oven and monitor the igniter mounted to the back of the bake burner. If so, then use an amp clamp to see if it's drawing 3.2 amps. If not, then the igniters need to be replaced. If they do draw 3.2 amps, then your oven gas safety valve is bad and would need to be replaced.

Now the last option would be if the igniter does NOT glow at all. Then you'd need to test power between the 2 wires going to the igniter. If you have 110 volts when the igniter should be glowing, then you have a bad igniter. If you don't have 110 volts on either wire to ground, test each wire compared to ground. If you don't have 110 volts from either wire to ground, you have a faulty control board. If you have 110 volts from one wire to ground but not between the 2 wires, your oven gas safety valve is bad and needs to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The igniter has a 1/2" piece broken off on one side,it's laying in the bottom. I'm guessing that could be the problem

Aye that definitely sounds like it. The part number you need is WB13K10043 and below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for igniter