Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE PHS920SF1SS induction range. I did a 4 hour self

I have a GE PHS920SF1SS induction range.I did a 4 hour self clean on it. It completed fine. Couple days later my wife went to use it and noticed it had no display on it. I reset the breaker, nothing works except the inside light. I have 240v at the plug and at the relay board. Don't know what else to check.There is no display or beeps or anything. Only the internal oven light works. It had been working perfectly before the self clean operation.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanx

No problem, so there are 2 things that can cause your problem if you're sure the oven is getting power from your house. There is a thermal cut out fuse on top of the oven which can fail if the oven gets too hot (usually during self clean. It's part 157 on the diagram attached below. Check this part for continuity and if it does not have continuity---replace it. The other possibly is the main control board on the back of the oven which is part 408. If you're sure the oven is getting power from your house and the thermal fuse checks good, replace the main power relay board on the back.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get to the cut out on the top of the oven. I've suspected the relay, so ordered it already.You are saying the cut off on top would kill the display? I thought it would interupt operation and throw a code?

It won't throw a code. It cuts out the display and heat. But access is not easy, you have to remove the entire cooktop and work your way from the top down through the induction burners and induction boards, then you'll see the thermostat mounted to the top of the oven cavity below all of that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked and I have 124 volts into the relay board on each leg as checked at 124V between L1 ( J20-1 ) and N ( J21-5) , and another 120V between N ( J21-5 ) and L2 ( J20-3 ).I also checked:0 VDC between J17-5 and J17-3 on the Relay Board
0 VDC between J17-1 and J17-3 , again on the Relay Board

OK then I would replace the relay control board on the back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No chance of it being the TCO?

I thought you had already checked that since that was the first thing you asked. Yes---you need to replace the TCO first still. If that tests good, then replace the board. It's really that simple.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The TCO looks like a bit of a PITA to get to.I ordered both parts, I think I will replace the relay first, if that doesn't work, replace the TCOAny problem with that plan?How do you check the TCO?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind about describing checking the TCO, I see it just has 2 legs on it, I thought it had 4 connectors.

No problem with that plan, no. And yes the TCO just has 2 wires going to it so all you're doing is testing continuity through the TCO like any other fuse.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have these parts coming in later this week, if these don't fix the problem, can this thread be continued?

yes, there is an E-mail sent to you after you rate me with a link to come back and ask follow-up questions if needed at no charge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanx!

no problem and good luck!