Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE washer's light is blinking and I can't get the washer

My GE washer's light is...
My GE washer's light is blinking and I can't get the washer reset. Tried removing power for 10 minutes but didn't help. How do reset the washer?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 1/2 years GTW680BSJWS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
8/19/2017
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Sorry for the delay. Please allow me a few moments to review your question.

Unplug the unit for 30 minutes to reset.

Tried that and didn't work

Which light is blinking?

The light that shows how many minutes are left in the cycle continues to blink. It blinks but doesn't count down. It sounds like the pump is going but there's no spin. I tried to reset the motor per instructions from the GE web site but that didn't change anything. I suspect there's a way to reset everything to factory settings by using some combination of pressing the different buttons on the control panel but I don't know what they may be.

This is a front load correct?

No, it's a top load with no agitator

Remove the front cabinet panel of the washer to view the inverter control and diagnostic LED. Don’t touch live electro-mechanical components inside the washer cabinet when running the washer with the front panel removed.

When the drive motor is operating normally and running, the inverter control LED blinks at a constant rate of 1/2 second on and 1/2 second off. When the drive motor is operating normally, and idle, the LED blinks at a constant rate of 1 second on and 1 second off. The drive motor doesn’t run and an error code is signaled when a component problem is detected. Error codes are signaled by a number of LED flashes followed by a pause. The error code repeats continuously until reset.

How do I reset an error code?

What was the code?

I don't see how to remove the front cabinet panel. I think I'l have to set up a service call with GE

There should be screws up under the panel.

It's not just a front panel, the base of the washer wraps all the way around the sides

Right, sorry. Let me see if I can get my tech site open.

Step 1

Unplug the electrical cord from the wall outlet. Unscrew the water hoses from the fittings on the back of the machine using a pair of slip-joint pliers. Remove the drain hose from the sink. Pull the washer away from the wall.

Step 2

Slide a putty knife between the top of the washer and the front panel about 3 inches from the left corner. Feel with the knife for a spring clip and press in on it with the putty knife to release it. Pull up on the top slightly on the left side and use the putty knife in the same way on the right side to release the clip on that side. Pull up the top, then flip it back and lean it against the wall.

Step 3

Unscrew the screws on the top of the front panel using a Phillips screwdriver. There will be one or two screws on each side of the top of the front panel. Remove the screws at the bottom of the front panel if there are any. The screws might be under a kick plate that is on clips that can be pulled out by hand. Pull out the front panel and set it aside.

Step 4

Remove the screws that hold on the back access panel using a nut driver. The panel is held on with four screws. Lift off the panel and set it aside.

Thanks, ***** ***** more complicated than I want to try. I've set up a service call for next week.

Not a problem.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated. Please rate my service and not the appliance. Also rating me does not close this question and you can still post here if you need anymore help. Thank you!

AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician
AppTech8579
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician