Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a front loading washer that I'm trying to diagnose

I have a front loading washer that I'm trying to diagnose what part I may need
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: about 12 yrs old, kenmore 417.44152400
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If I put it on drain and spin the pump comes on for about 10 secs but goes no further

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You say that the pump comes on for 10 seconds, then does the washer shut off completely? Or what happens exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it doesn't go into the spin cycle after it drains. The pump is working though, but only runs for about 10 secs. Won't fill during wash cycle. Im guessing either the control board or the water sensor, but could be washer motor too, because during normal wash it use to spray water, rotate a little and spray more when it was working
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still there?

So you are correct, this is an issue an issue with the motor. When it runs for 10 seconds and it won't fill or anything, that means the motor control board is giving a bad signal and doesn't think the belt is connected to the motor. Check the belt and see if the belt is connected. If it is, then it's a bit of a guess as to whether the motor or the motor control board is bad because you don't know if the motor control board is reading the motor incorrectly or the motor itself is just bad.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's the drain motor that will run for 5-10 secs only on drain and spin mode. This comes on wether it is dry or if I manually add water before closing the door. Never goes to spin mode. So I thought it might be the water level sensor thinking it is still full. On wash mode, when this first failed it added enough water to wet the clothes and then did nothing. Now it does not try to add water. The belt is attached and in good condition.

Yes, I understand it's the drain motor that runs, but the problem is actually the main motor or the motor control board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah, the motor control board controls both the drain motor and the washer motor....right?

Correct, yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any tips on determining if its the motor control board or the washer motor itself?

There really isn't any unfortunately. I would order the board from Repairclinic.com as they allow returns if you end up not needing it unlike most places.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are talking the motor control board and not the main control board, correct? Although the fact that it doesnt try to fill now shouldnt be affected by the motor control board, should it?

That is correct, the motor control board mounted to the floor below the tub.