Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a 5 year old RFG237 or 238, I don't know how to tell

We have a 5 year old RFG237 or 238, I don't know how to tell the difference. A couple hours ago, the power went out for a few minutes, and then came back on. Now, the display is only showing "
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: The display is only showing "88 88" I did cycle the breaker for a couple minutes, but that didn't change what's happening.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, we have a repair place in Rapid City, but I need to know how fast this needs to be fixed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm just wondering what may have happened to the display, the refrigerator is still running.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

88 88 means that the refrigerator has detected an error. First, try to just reset the error since there was a power outage and it could just be a computer glitch. To reset the error, press and hold the upper right and left buttons on the dispenser touch control panel for 5 seconds. If that doesn't work, then look at the 88 88 and one of the segments should be flashing or missing. Can you tell me what segment and which "8" is flashing/missing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That fixed it. When it was displaying two "88's" the top left vertical bar on the right number was flashing. It would be nice if the owner's manual had that tip in the troubleshooting section. I'm going to write it in the book now.

Awesome, I'm glad I could help! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.