Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana side by side refrigerator and the outside of

HI I have an Amana...
HI I have an Amana side by side refrigerator and the outside of the panel between the freezer and refrigerator is very hot ... but the freezer and refrigerator appear to be working normally ...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Well I bought this house a year ago and it was built in 1991 ... but I think the appliances have been replaced/upgraded since then is there anything on the refrig that would indicate its age?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: possibly if it's not too difficul.t difficult
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, just that I've noticed the hotness in that external edge between the refrig and freezer
8/17/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you pull it out to access the back of the cabinet?

okay, yes

Behind the panel in the back at the bottom of the cabinet is a condenser fan that has stopped running. It is critical for that to run to cool the condenser coil and the compressor. Can you see why it is not running, like anything stuck in it, etc?

okay will check

Roger that, let me know what you find. Be careful of the metal edges and the hot surfaces back there!

there are three different sections on the back of refrig, two have covers that are screwed down the other one seems to be the electrical connection

The one at the very bottom is the one you want to remove. It usually goes clear across the entire width of the cabinet.

If you post a model number I can get you more specific information.

the one that looks like a vent .. is the one that the compressor?
there is nothing that goes the length of the refrigerator

Yes, at the very bottom.

where can I find that?

The model tag is usually in the refrigerator section, on a side wall or on the ceiling.

per the sticker inside it says it's an
Amana 1996

The model will look like ARS2322ABC.

amana ISO 9001

No, it will start with AR then S, meaning Amana Refrigerator Side by Side. The tag will have the model number clearly marked as the model number.

okay, how about SXD225S2E

Bingo! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Correction.. SXD2252E

See the link below. Remove the number 1 panel to access the number 21/13 fan motor. It is SXD22S2E.

CLICK HERE

We definitely need to get that panel off to get air flow down there or the compressor will be damaged.

not the vent part but where there's a cardboard panel?

Yes, the large panel that looks like the number 1 in the diagram I sent you.

I found that fan in the back of the refrig and it's not moving

Is anything stuck in the blade or just not moving?

but I can spin it and it does not appear to have any obstruction

Is the motor hot?

meaning the blade...yes it's warm

That motor will need to be replaced. YOU will need to place a fan back there or unplug the refrigerator until you get one, though, or it will damage the compressor. The motor kit comes with everything you need, including instructions for replacement!

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

Nice work!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

okay, so If I order the new motor, will I be able to install it? And all I need to do in the meantime is put a fan next to the back of the refrig in that same area?

Yes, you can easily install it, the directions are well written and easy to follow. Place a fan back there to blow on the compressor and coil area until you get the new motor, correct.

okay, am ordering it now... are you sure this will work in this refrigerator?

Yes, it is the exact one called for by the model you gave me. ;-)

Kelly, Appliance Technician
I received the new fan motor.... but I can not figure out how to install it ... It's NOT very easy. I took the fan off the back of the refrigerator, but I could not see any way to remove the old motor, as the screws to it are facing inward. Can we please talk tomorrow around 5:30 CST -- I will have someone with me who can help. If you can't do this then I would like a refund for the interaction we had last week, as I am still not satisfied. Thank you,***@******.***

The video below shows exactly how to install it.

CLICK HERE

Kelly, Appliance Technician