Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Do you service maytag as well? it was bought in 2009-2010.

do you service maytag as...
do you service maytag as well?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it was bought in 2009-2010. model number MTB1954EEW02
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depemds
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dont think so
8/17/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

How may I help with your refrigerator?

The refrigerator part of my fridge fluctuates in temperature from 30 to 50 degress, mostly around the 45- 50. The freezer works too well, creates frost. I defrosted frezzer and it worked well for a while. But now has gone back to 50 degrees
What are ypur thoughts on this

It should not frost, it is a frost free. That is why the refrigerator stops working, the frost in the freezer blocks the air flow. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Thank you
I dont

Okay, well there are three parts that can cause that issue. With no meter, it is a bit of a guessing game but an educated guess is about 75% correct in this case. Would you like that part information?

its a part and not air flow that is keeping it warm? i have kept my freezer empty. Sure whats the part
The fan is working in freezer. Sometimes it gets really cold and it sounds like a train, very loud .

It is air flow that is being blocked by the build up of frost because the self defrost cycle is not working. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Ok thank you

In the diagram at the link below, the number 16 panel from the back of the freezer will need to come off.

CLICK HERE

Once it is off, you will see the evaporator coil, number 5 below.

CLICK HERE

Number 19 is the heater. Inspect it to see if it appears to be damaged (broken, discolored or holes in it). If it looks good, there is a thermostat in the upper right corner of that evaporator coil. It has pink and brown wires to it. I would replace that part.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive zero credit for my work. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

I will give you the highest marks, thank you

Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hello Kelly, i replaced thermostat in freezer and it the fridge is still at 50 degrees. Fo you what else it could possibly be?

Did you thaw the frost completely from the evaporator coil when you replaced that thermostat?

No should i defrost it

Yes, definitely. It cannot defrost itself with that much frost on it. It is designed to prevent the frost from building, not deal with it once it has developed.

Ok, thank you. Can i just defrost frezzer by leaving door open. Tine before i used hair dryer after 15 minutes to expediate process

Yes, but the coil behind the panel must be totally thawed. It will usually take 24 hours with the doors open.

Kelly, Appliance Technician